Thursday, May 15, 2008

People Do Want To Fly

Everybody thinks about it; most people dream about it; some people make it happen for themselves.


Gennai Yanagisawa, 75, of Japan, developed the world's smallest helicopter in the 1990's, and he's planning to fly one over Leonardo da Vinci's hometown.














Meanwhile, Mubarak Muhammed Abdullahi, a Nigerian physics student, built himself a helicopter out of scrap metal and the engine from a Honda Civic.







Helicopters are too tame for fighter pilot Yves Rossy; he has a personal jetpack, like Buck Rogers.









I wish these people well. I understand they are expressing a human trait--three men from three different continents, driven by a desire to defy gravity and soar through the sky. I don't envy them; I'm happy to observe from down below, with my feet on the ground.

No comments: