Saturday, August 05, 2006

Vacation is a State of Mind

Early August. Everybody is on vacation, just back from vacation, or getting ready to leave for vacation. Individually their vacations may not be that much more exciting than mine, but collectively, heck, they are going to North Carolina, Colorado, Texas, France, California, Germany, Cape Cod, Hawaii, Canada... My traveling is done for the year so I might be tempted to the sin of envy.

So, when I woke up this morning, I rolled out of bed, threw on some shorts and a tanktop, told my husband, "I'm going for a 'big' bike ride; don't worry about me!" and took off. It takes about 15 minutes to get to the beach, then I turned south on A1A and just kept going. I toured Fort Lauderdale beach, went past the International Swimming Hall of Fame, the Sheraton Yankee Clipper Hotel, the Bahia Mar Hotel and Marina (where the big boat show is every year), past the Jungle Queen riverboat and all the famous spring break landmarks. Eventually A1A turns west and goes across the Intracoastal Waterway on a big bridge--the highest point my one-speed bicycle has ever attained, and the biggest hill I've ever ridden up (or down) in Florida. I took this picture of the Fort Lauderdale skyline from the bridge. On the other side, the bike lane ends and it's urban biking instead of beach biking. I turned around and headed home.

With one pit stop at Dunkin Donuts for a strawberry-banana smoothie (yum, with whipped cream!), I was home by 11 a.m. or so. Expedia says I rode 36.6 miles. It was fun and it felt just like being on vacation.

Ho hum, where's my hammock, I think it's naptime.

4 comments:

TBG said...

Sounds like a vacation to me. South Florida is a vacation every day ("Right," Karen says sarcastically).

We live across the street from our quiet, usually empty, neighborhood pool. When the kids were little we went every day. When you can spend the day in a bathing suit, walk across the street to the house for lunch and walk back to spend the rest of the afternoon, every day really is a vacation.

It's just a state of mind. And clothing, I guess.

TBG said...

OK.. "usually empty" means very few people--not empty of water. That'd be no vacation at all!

:)

Anonymous said...

Living in South Florida is like being on vacation, for minutes or hours or a day here and there. We work hard to be here, of course. But I feel a lot less stress overall because of the year-round sunshine and warm weather.

yellojkt said...

That sounds like a very pleasant ride. Somday I will have to dig out and scan my picture of Slip F-18 at the Bahia Mar.