Saturday, May 06, 2006

F. Scott Fitzgerald (1896 - 1940)

"Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy."
--F. Scott Fitzgerald


Today I watched an old movie, The Last Time I Saw Paris, starring Elizabeth Taylor and Van Johnson. It is based on a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and it made me remember that Fitzgerald is the most romantic literary figure I know. Somehow, the image of the young, handsome writer struggling with his demons to write stories of love and tragedy and tragic love is burned into my brain. He is the writer as tortured artist, one of those "too sensitive for this world" types. I know Lord Byron is the poster child for that, but Byron isn't as vivid to me. Plus, Fitzgerald is so American. I need to read some of his short stories again.


"Poetry is either something that lives like fire inside you -- like music to the musician or Marxism to the Communist -- or else it is nothing, an empty, formalized bore around which pedants can endlessly drone their notes and explanations."
--F. Scott Fitzgerald

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Karen, a friend of mine's wife is a Fitzgerald scholar and co-wrote/co-edited an interesting book about Scott and Zelda based on their correspondence.

"Dear Scott, Dearest Zelda", available at amazon.com.

bc